So I’ve been back at work now for nearly 3 months and it’s all going well, kind of. I think the mum guilt is always there hovering in the background but it’s a lot easier now. I think time just makes it that way. Everything always seems worse than it actually is. That being said, being a full time working mum and have a 14 month old has it’s dramas!
Some of the dramas
- Emily Waking up Before me. I generally try and get up at 5.45am, have a 5 minutes shower get dressed ready for her to wake up at 6am. But when she wakes up at 5.30am, a toddler can do a lot of damage in 5 minutes while you have a shower. Some words of advice, don’t leave toilet roll or the toilet brush in reach!
- Poorly Child. This is where I am very lucky, as I have only been called in once, the day after emily had her 1st year injections. But some kids are poorly all the time, and poor parents having to stop work and pick them up.
- Taking Random Holiday days to Spend Time with Emily. I had this lovely idea that the days I take off will be utterly appreciated by Emily. Nope! The days I have taken off, because I feel like a bad mum Emily decides to play up, I end up getting stressed and thinking why did I bother. I thought at 14 months she would appreciate the fact I have just used a days holiday.
- Other Mums – “I just don’t know how you work full time” – Shut Up! I feel guilty enough, without all the judgement people. We all have to do what is right for us and our family. You never know other people’s circumstances, so no judging or condescending words please.
- The Bad Nights Sleep – Emily is a good sleeper but there are nights when she thinks, I know lets piss mummy off and not sleep for 3 hours. Going to work with minimal sleep is horrendous. I am direct and grumpy enough, armed with no sleep = Don’t Talk to Me Colleagues, Just Walk the Other Way! Shame I work in sales ekkkk…. So now, I just go to sleep at 8.30pm in preparation.
- Looking Like Shit – All the Time! – I am not a slim beauty, so without the time to put on make up and wash my hair, I look rubbish all the time. When I do put on make up, and curl my hair I feel like a different person, but I don’t have time to do that on a daily basis. I mean I am lucky if I have time for a poo in the mornings and wash my hair twice a week. If Emily gets food on me, I don’t even change, I just wipe it off. Then I see some of my stunning mum friends on FB or Insta looking amazing and I think oh my god, what am I doing wrong?
- Nursery Fees – Luckily Emily is only in Nursery 3 times a week, but that’s still £800 a month. I think I have succumbed to the fact that I will never have money again, as it’s just going to get worse when more babies come along.
- I am Always Late – I have to drop Emily off in the morning, and I am always 5 minutes late to work, I do always make up the time, but I used to turn up at least 30 minutes early. No one ever says anything, but I know I would have judged prior to having Emily.
It would be great to hear other peoples working dramas?
Being a working mum comes with it dramas. The biggest is not spending time with my beautiful daughter, but it is what it is and it works for us at the moment. It’s tough trying to juggle everything, but then so is being a full time mum. I don’t think any mum has it easy.